Columbia Falls firefighters responded to a house fire on Eighth Street West Sunday afternoon shortly before 4 p.m.
Chief Rick Hagen said a bed caught on fire and damaged contents in the room. The homeowner was able to put it out with a garden hose, but firefighters had to ventilate the building, which was damaged by smoke.
Hagen said the fire was likely caused by electrical cords that were under some clothes. One was charging a cell phone.
No one was injured, but the smoke made the house uninhabitable.
The Red Cross was helping the renters until the home could be cleaned out.