For many years, this space has offered gift selections for the outdoorsies on your Christmas list.
No exception this year, except this yearís list comes with renewed encouragement to purchase locally, especially from locally-owned businesses.
Weíre fortunate in the Flathead Valley to have so many fine stores offering quality outdoor items and personal service.
Specific stores will not be mentioned for fear of omission. When in doubt, call the store or visit personally to get answers for your questions and further gift suggestions within your budget.
Hereís some ideas:
• Long sleeve UPF fishing shirt
• Clear rubber landing net
• Electric fillet knife
• Subscription to Onx mapping programs
• High quality life jacket or floatation suspenders
• Lightweight, rust-proof fishing pliers
• Lightweight waders
• Digital scale (or maybe not. Would probably wreck some good stories!)
• High quality fillet knife
• Dozen locally tied fishing flies for local waters
• Face-protecting sun buff or wide-brimmed hat
• Waterproof bag or case for camera or smartphone
• Submersible light (can also be used when ice fishing)
• Entry level rod/reel combo for beginning anglers
• Wading bag
• Fly-tying kit
• Anything Yeti
• Lessons: Fly-tying. Casting. Shooting. Skiing. Swimming.
• Book a bone-fishing trip to the Bahamas and invite me!
Jerry Smalleyís Fishful Thinking column appears weekly in the Hungry Horse News.